Tuesday, November 6, 2007

A Kindergartener's Theory: Size vs. Speed

My five-year-old and I were running part way to his afternoon Kindergarten class. Amazingly, he stayed slightly ahead of me the whole time. Finally we started walking and he beamed with pride that he was able to go faster than an adult. That's when he explained to me his newly realized theory that smaller people can go faster than bigger people. Therefore the smaller you are the faster you can go.



Then he curled his fore finger into his thumb to make a small hole the size of kidney bean and said, "...a baby...this size (showing me his hand) can go faster than everybody."


This idea threw me deep into contemplation about how a tiny baby developed only to kidney bean size could speed past every other person, until the last part of his dissertation caught my attention, "...if we don't step on it..."

1 comment:

John Andersen said...

True Wisdom! What a cute kid. Your kids always have the best theories!