Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Chris Rice

On the special feature DVD of Jonah: A Veggie Tales Movie I was instantly interested in Chris Rice's musical performance of Billy Joe McGuffrey. Being impressed with his singing style and natural sound, I decided to review his bonus video on the DVD, The Other Side of the Radio.





Again I really enjoyed the real-instrument sound and musical style, but the thing that impressed me the most was the sincerity in his voice and lyrics. I felt he really did care about his audience.

Now Chris Rice is one of my all-time favorite artists. We bought his Album, "Run the Earth Watch the Sky" and just recently we bought his Album "What a Heart is Beating For."

Not only do I like his sincerity, but I really like his optimism. I listen to his music and feel hopeful and encouraged...and, partially because he is a Christian musician I know his music and lyrics are appropriate for all ages whether or not they are hymns he's written or more secular topics.

(I'm Christian too, but my feelings for Jesus Christ are of such a sacred nature to me, I'm more picky about what Christian music I like--even though I generally like the style of music most Christian artists use, the lyrics and feeling I get when listening to the majority of Christian music doesn't always match up to those sacred personal feelings.)

I am also really impressed with how well he writes his lyrics. He uses a lot of creative metaphors that seem to expand the meaning beyond just the words themselves. I suppose I like it because metaphors are how I apply concepts in my own life.

Here are a few samples of his lyrics to illustrate:

Baby Take Your Bow: Although death can be a depressing reality in our lives, Chris Rice does a good job of bringing out the respect of life's opportunity, the hope of our eternal lives, and comfort when loved ones temporarily depart their mortal bodies until the resurrection:






Lemonade: This song captures the excitement, anticipation, and joy of true, sincere love. It illustrates his sincerity, gratitude, and optimism. I like to think of this song in relation to my wife and me:





Here are the lyrics to those two songs if these unofficial music videos don't work:

Baby Take Your Bow
Chris Rice

We're gonna miss your song and dance
The way you made us laugh
And we're so glad we had the pleasure for a while
But on the other side you'll find a better audience
Just be yourself, and you can't help but make the angels smile

Baby, all the world's a stage
Playwright pens your final page
And then he brings your curtain down
So blow us your kisses and drench our eyes
We'll rise to our feet to wave goodbye for now
So baby, take your bow

The world is lovelier because you had your moment here
And we could see a friend of heaven in your face
And in your song we heard the longing for a distant shore
And now your time has come to go, and so be on your way

Baby, all the world's a stage
Playwright pens your final page
And then he brings your curtain down
So blow us your kisses and drench our eyes
We'll rise to our feet to wave goodbye for now
So baby, take your bow
Your show is over now
It's time to lay your burdens down
So baby, take your bow

Copyright 2007 Clumsy Fly Music (ASCAP) (adm. By Word Music, LLC)

Lemonade
by Chris Rice

So go ahead and ask her
For happy ever after
‘Cause nobody knows what’s coming
So why not take a chance on loving
Come on, pour the glass and tempt me
Either half-full or half-empty
‘Cause if it all comes down to flavor
The glass is tipping in my favor

Life gave me lemonade and I can’t imagine why
Born on a sunny day, beneath a tangerine sky
I live life without pretending
I’m a sucker for happy endings
Thanks for the lemonade
Thanks for the lemonade!

Now take your time to answer me
For the beauty of romancing
Is to calm your trembling hand with mine
While begging love to fill your eyes
I can hardly breathe while waiting
To find out what your heart is saying
And as we’re swirling in this flavor
The world is tilting in our favor

Life gave me lemonade and I can’t imagine why
Born on a sunny day, beneath a tangerine sky
I live life without pretending
I’m a sucker for happy endings
Thanks for the lemonade
Thanks for the lemonade!

I’ve got it made
Rest in the shade
And hold my love
While God above
Stirs wiith a spoon
We share the moon
Smile at the bees
More sugar please
He really loves us after all
We’re gonna need another straw!
We’re gonna need another straw!

Life gave me lemonade and I can’t imagine why
Born on a sunny day, beneath a tangerine sky
I live life without pretending
I’m a sucker for happy endings
Thanks for the lemonade
Thanks for the lemonade!

Copyright 2004 Clumsy Fly Music (ASCAP) (adm. By Word Music, LLC)

No comments: