Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum

Since I've been in a video mood (much more interesting than my commentary, in my opinion), here's an animated slide show of McMinnville, Oregon's Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum, home of the Spruce Goose, that I made a few years ago. Its a good snapshot of some of the cools things to see there.

Just the Spruce Goose alone is an amazing site. It's housed in a large airplane hanger...practically takes up the whole building and dwarf the dozens of other fascinating planes on display. The Spruce Goose is basically a giant flying boat made out of laminated wood set in layers. It sits 79 feet tall, 218 feet long, the wings span 319 feet with eight 3,000 horsepower engines driving 17 foot diameter propellers. Its first and only flight lasted about one minute as it flew almost a mile distance at 70 feet altitude to the surprise and silence of skeptics. Pictures can't capture the magnitude of this unique aircraft.

Please enjoy a quick, virtual tour of the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum:




Technical notes: This video was also an experiment with some of the transitions, music, and pan-and-zoom features that Pinnacle Studio video editing software provided.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have never used Pinnacle. Your video wants me to go out and buy it though!

I use a program called Magix that I got Free after Rebate. It is a little unintuitive, but I can usually get it to do what I need it to. I hear great things about Pinnacle though.