Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Hummingbird In Action

I've always been fascinated with Hummingbirds. I'm amazed at their ability to hover, their speed and their size. I'm in awe at how fast they can flap their wings.

On our vacation we had the opportunity to visit the Oregon Zoo. While we were there we saw a hummingbird in action and took advantage of a potential photo opportunity. Using the sports setting on our camera, we were impressed with how well the pictures turned out. (These pictures have been cropped and brightened up a little bit.)

Here is the hummingbird 'stopping' after zooming in at lightning speed. In my vast unlimited lack of knowledge about hummingbirds, my guess is that this is an "Anna's Hummingbird" (Calypte anna)--perhaps an adolescent, if not an adult female.


Here's a close-up of the same picture. I love the deployed landing gear. Hummingbirds' normal flight speed is 25 mph.

It's amazing how they can hover so still. Looking at slow motion video, they tilt their wings in a figure-eight pattern as if they are treading water. Hence the unique angle of the wings in this picture. I'm guessing this hummingbird flaps its wings around 50 wing beats per second.


I like this picture because it shows the fluorescent feathers on its back. I also like how you can see the feather's of the wings...they really are birds! The feather's are actually kind of transparent.

Here you can see its beak getting nectar from the flower.

You can get interesting hummingbird information on the web in addition to the links sited on this page (http://www.hummingbirds.net/.)

1 comment:

John Andersen said...

As if I were not convinced before, I am now....that is a sweet camera! I can't believe the detail you were able to catch of the hummingbird in flight. That is truly amazing.