Monday, July 9, 2007

Pure Harmony From A Church Youth Trip

First of all I need to apologize to all the people who read my blog. The three of you probably looked at the site disappointed to see no new material over the last few days. We went to an annual family picnic over the weekend, but I am back now.



In high school, I was recruited as the last member of a four-guy a capella vocal group. One of my best friends was the bass for the group and he heard me sing to the radio on a church youth trip. We became Pure Harmony.

As Pure Harmony, we would harmonize on the bus as we travelled to Vocal Jazz contests. We sang for receptions and parties. We sang the national anthem for basketball games. We even sang for our High School graduation.

This same friend of mine introduced me to a new music-making life. He also introduced me to Vocal Jazz and Concert Choir all of which shaped my musical tastes tremendously. Our Vocal Jazz Choir often placed or came close to placing at Vocal Jazz contests.

Once at Especially For Youth (a Church Youth Conference), my friend, one of our mutual friends, a friend we met at the conference, and I sang at a talent show in front of a few hundred youth. We started out in unison, then as soon as we split into harmony, the crowd went wild. Hence my claim that I was able to sing in front of a crowd of screaming fans.

Those were the 'Glory Days!'

In all technical and musical terms, we were a step below amateurs, but it was still fun, provided a lot of good memories, and influenced me in many ways. In fact I considered becoming a music major in college.

All this because I went on a church youth trip and a friend motivated me to develop a seed of talent.

3 comments:

Heffalump said...

Ah the memories. I remember when you gave me a tape that had Pure Harmony on it. When I was working at Barnes and Noble I would play it each night after closing and think of you (this was while we were engaged and you were away at school). I always enjoyed listening to it.

J-Dog said...

Nice Song.

Unknown said...

Listening to this brings back so many great memories! I think all those choir trips really made high school ok for me. I still listen to this kind of music and so do my kids now. One of my kids' favorite groups is Go Fish. They sing great acapella music for kids! We have all kinds of fun singing and dancing to the Get Your Jammies On song.